Working at Accenture: How Much Does a Senior Manager Make?

by Asif Khan

Last year, I wrote a post about how much a Partner (Managing Director) at Accenture makes. It went on to become the most popular post on this site, by far.

I thought I would write a follow up article on the role that leads to Managing Director. Being a Senior Manager is a pretty great role since it exposes you to much of the responsibilities of a Managing Director without the actual accountability (ie sales quota)–and, to an extent, without the actual perks (ie the long term stock awards).

==
ImageDISCLAIMERS

First, the usual disclaimers. I’m not revealing any proprietary information. The information presented here is from publicly available sources and some is based on my actual experience and anecdotal evidence from others in similar roles. As usual, I’m basing these numbers on a Technology Consulting role in the US because that is the role I was in most recently. Your mileage may vary.

First, let’s review the estimated pay structure leading up to the Senior Manager role:

An Analyst fresh out of college (a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is a minimum requirement to get hired by Accenture) or with a couple years of outside experience after college can expect to earn in the range of USD50K-USD100K.

A Consultant with 4-6 years post-college work experience can expect to earn a total compensation in the range of USD75K-USD125K.

A Manager with 6-10 years experience at Accenture can expect to earn a total compensation in the range of USD100K-USD175K.

Finally, a Senior Manager who has worked his/her way up at Accenture (or is an experienced hire joining Accenture at the Senior Manager level) can expect to earn a total compensation in the range of USD150K-USD300K.

These numbers are based on total compensation including performance and company bonuses (but not including stock grants which can add significantly to the total payout). I intentionally presented a wide range of pay for each level because there are several factors that can impact final pay. In general, an outside hire brought in at the Sr Manager level will make more money than someone who worked their way up from Analyst. Also, the firm makes exceptions for people with unique backgrounds. I referred a friend who was a VP of IT for a major financial services firm. I worked with a former physician (medical doctor) who worked in the HealthCare practice. I assume they were offered a compensation package at the very high end of the spectrum. Your pay can fluctuate greatly depending on your prior experience.

Now let’s drill into some of the factors that determine your total compensation.

COMPENSATION PLAN

The comp plan for Analysts and Consultants is pretty straightforward. You get a base salary and a bonus of around 5-10% based on your performance appraisal at the end of the performance year (which is about 3 months prior to the end of the fiscal year). The manager gets up to an additional 5% bonus based on how the company does. A Manager may also get some stock in the form of Restricted Stock Units. RSUs, unlike options, don’t have a strike price. You get the entire value of the shares but you can only cash it out after a specified period. At Accenture, the vesting period is 3 years, with one third vesting every 12 months (rather than 1/36th every month as I’ve had with previous employers).

==

About these ads

19 thoughts on “Working at Accenture: How Much Does a Senior Manager Make?

1. Hi,

I really liked your blog and it is helpful especially for those who are expecting to be hired by Accenture..

I have 10.5 years of IT experience (all relevant exp) …What would be appropriate level for me in Accenture (Manager OR Senior Manager) ? How much base salary I should ask for during interview ? ( currently undergoing recruitment process)…

Thanks..

1. Tejas, I have to admit that, in my experience, Accenture doesn’t do a very good job of bringing in people at the right level. It seems as though they place you based on how much money you currently make. So it is up to you to demonstrate that you are qualified for the level you prefer. Read through some of my other posts to get an idea of what the different roles are like. If you feel that you are qualified to be a Sr Manager, then you should campaign for it.

As far as starting salary, they do a pretty good job of offering you a package that pretty closely matches what you currently earn and then offer you a generous stock grant and signing bonus to sweeten the pot. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Asif Khan

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 9:11 PM, The Vaporware Blog wrote:

1. Thanks Asif…

I have applied for a position which says “Senior Manager+” in it.. So I would assume that I am being mapped to the same.

By the way, is signing bonus common part of the total compensation and provided to everybody who joins to Accenture OR is it specific to some candidates to fll the salary expectation gap ?
        How much is usual signing bonus ( range or % ) ?

2. I don’t think everyone gets a bonus. It really depends on the gap between your current and proposed salary and your willingness to negotiate. For example, let’s say you currently make $120K. They might offer you $100K and then give you a $30K signing bonus and $30K worth of stock grants exercisable over 3 years. So if you amortize this amount over 3 years, they just matched your current salary. Plus you will get a performance bonus so you should make more than $120K per year. Make sense?

Cheers.

Asif Khan

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM, The Vaporware Blog wrote:

2. Hello Asif,
    I am currently pursuing an opportunity with Accenture. I had few questions.

Do they provide sign in bonus for experience candidates? My total exp is 9 yr with 4 yr at management level.

What kind of stock option package if any we can negotiate with the offer?

1. It depends on what level you are hired at. The benefits overall improve considerably once you get to Manager level. If you are hired as a Manager or Sr Manager, you can expect a signing bonus equal to about 10-20% of your first year pay. Of course this depends on a lot of factors. For me, I got a large bonus because I had a higher than average income from my previous job so they needed to compensate for that.

Also, at the manager level or higher, you can expect a stock award. It is not stock options but rather, stock grants (Restricted Stock Units or RSUs). RSUs are far superior to stock grants because there is no strike price…you get the entire value of the shares upon your vesting period (stock usually vests every 12 months over a 3 year period).

Cheers.

Asif Khan

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 12:33 PM, The Vaporware Blog wrote:

3. You have an excellent blog and I do enjoy reading your articles. Please keep up the good job. I’m a current Accenture employee and would be interested in an article that describes the transition from a consultant to a manager level : both role wise and compensation wise. Thanks

1. I covered compensation in this post. As far as the role, your career counselor will help you identify consultant roles where you manage other resources (usually analysts). To make the leap to manager, you need to demonstrate that you can do the role so you will need to be assigned roles where you are managing other resources.

Cheers.

Asif Khan

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM, The Vaporware Blog wrote:

4. Asif
    I would like to echo others’ comments on the wonderful insight you are providing us on Accenture.

I am looking for a Manager position at Accenture Technology division (SAP Consulting). I have about 10 years of experience in a combination of top consulting company and end user company implementing SAP solutions. I have the following 2 questions for you!

1) I live in a state where Accenture does not have an office. Will Accenture expect me to relocate to a different location? And if so, will Accenture offer relocation package?

2) I read somewhere that Accenture internally categorizes Managers as M1, M2 & M3 levels and the compensation for a hire is based on the categorization. Is that accurate?

Thanks

1. Gus, thanks for visiting the blog. You probably won’t have to relocate. There is a rule that says you have to live within 150 miles of an Accenture office but there are offices everywhere. I live in San Diego and the local office is a Federal Government office. You need a security clearance to get past the lobby, which I don’t have. I literally was not allowed to set foot inside my home office. Eventually, they transferred me to the LA office which was about 100 miles away. I was assigned to that office but I never set foot inside that office. As my career counselor put it: “I don’t care where you live as long as you are close to an airport!”

When you are hired as a Manager or Senior Manager, you are hired “at level.” So, for example, I was hired as a Senior Manager with two years “at level” which means that I was hired with two years of seniority at my level. This meant that I was eligible for candidacy to Managing Director within 1-3 years. If the terminology has changed from “at level” to M1, M2, etc, I was not aware of it. But the concept is still the same. Good luck and let us know if you join. It’s a great company to work for!

Cheers.

Asif Khan

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 7:48 PM, The Vaporware Blog wrote:

5. Hi,
    Thanks for this post :)
    I’m a fresh university graduate and had an opportunity to intern with Accenture over summer in its technology consulting team.
    I understand that there has been a reorganization in the company with Accenture Strategy, Digital, Technology and Operation taking over from the traditional Management consulting, technology consulting and solutions mix.
    How does technology consulting as a business division now fit into this new environment?

1. Boooinky, I’m sorry but I don’t have much detail on the latest restructuring. I do know that Accenture is always changing its structure to better meet the needs of the market and its clients. If you are looking for a position with Accenture upon graduation, I wouldn’t worry too much about the organizational structure. Just get the offer. Once you are in the position, you will have plenty of opportunities to find projects that will interest you and you can define what your career track will evolve into. The only thing that is constant at Accenture is change. Good luck to you and enjoy the ride!

Cheers.

Asif Khan

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 11:17 AM, The Vaporware Blog wrote:

6. I have just completed my closing interview. I have read that HR calls almost immediately after the interview if the outcome is positive. If I do not hear from them within the day, do I take it that I did not make it? I have to get back to another company concerning their offer on monday.

7. I don’t have a degree, don’t mention one on my resume or Linkedin Profile, but have made it through to the Managing Director interview for a Sr. Manager position. Have you ever seen Accenture hire experienced, intelligent, non-degree holders?

1. Josh, I referred a good friend of mine to my Accenture recruiter about two years ago. He had completed all but his last semester of college. My recruiter said unless he was an exceptional candidate, he wouldn’t even be considered for an initial screening. To get an exception, we had to get signed approval from a Managing Director. My friend decided to look elsewhere instead. Accenture’s loss.

You may be an exceptional candidate with a very specific set of skills they are looking for and they may have waived the degree requirement. Or they may have just overlooked it during the screening process. Or, I don’t know what country you are in so maybe it is not a requirement where you live.

Here’s what I would do. First, get the written offer. Then you will be required to fill out an application and they will start the background check. I assume at this point, if it was an oversight, then you need to have a discussion. It was their responsibility to inform you. But chances are, they may decide that they have come this far and that they will get an MD to approve the exception. If you are an exceptional candidate, then congratulations to you. I wish I was as smart as you :-)

On another note, I think the degree requirement is an anachronism. Degrees are largely irrelevant in today’s job market. Specific skills, experience and personality are much better indicators of success. So I hope you get the job and I hope Accenture relaxes or eliminates this rule when they realize what incredible talent they have been missing out on. Best of luck to you and keep us updated. There is a large community that we have built here and readers have been helping each other out. Peace. Out.

Cheers.

Asif Khan

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 12:35 AM, The Vaporware Blog wrote:

8. Thank you so much for writing this. I would love to see a blog post about what people do after Accenture. What are the target jobs people at the Sr Manager level go for. You offer good knowledge into the company. Thanks again!

1. Thanks for reading. That is a pretty good idea for a blog post (“Life After Accenture”). Let me think about it and see if I can put something interesting together.

Cheers.

Asif Khan

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 8:38 PM, The Vaporware Blog wrote:

1. Hi,
        I have to admit I also liked to read your experience within the accenture world. Thanks for sharing.
        I have been in the company for past three years and I have to admit that I still like it a lot. Writing about your experience after you left the company and joined your new employer would be really interesting. Especially the differences/ benefits :)

Regards,
        Tom

2. Tom, I have heard from several Accenture associates who told me they read this blog. Great to hear! I like your suggestion about life after Accenture. I do plan to write some posts on that topic. You have convinced me to do it now. Thanks!

Cheers.